Questions have power; unanswered questions linger. Questions will lead to freedom; unanswered questions can entrap. Questions multiply and require something of us; unanswered questions erode the confidence to trust in something. Within the church today, there exists a deepening chasm of unanswered questions consuming more and more potential “ex-Christians.” In reality, a church that ignores these unanswered questions is a church that foments despair, which can lead to individual skepticism and wholesale disbelief.
After receiving more than four thousand questions at his Christian Thinkers Society events over the span of six years, Dr. Jeremiah Johnston began to recognize six categories of recurring, trending questions that dominated the rest. In Unanswered, he tackles these tough issues that plague the minds of believers but are rarely addressed in church, such as…
• Why is it that God often seems to remain silent?
• How can we trust in the bodily resurrection of Jesus, and what does it mean for us today?
• What do Christians need to understand about suicide and mental illness?
• How should Christians respond to spiritual darkness and the obsession with paranormal activity?
• Why is biblical illiteracy so dangerous for Christians and the church?
• Why do we experience suffering and pain?
Instead of ducking the tough issues, Johnston wants to inspire Christians to become thinkers by empowering them to develop accessible and applicable answers to their most personal and frequently-asked Unanswered questions.